California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, CA 2013 Homeschool Day…
The California Academy of Sciences just released the date for their Homeschool Day Spring 2013 - April 23rd. This is the perfect opportunity for homeschooling families around the bay to visit the Academy at a discount (or in some cases FREE). I haven’t been there for years, I may just have to sign up!
Here are a few highlights and drop-in programs to check out during the day:
- Rainforests of the World, Level 1, 10:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Steinhart Aquarium, Level 1 and Lower Level
- Naturalist Center, Level 3, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Early Explorers Cove, Level 1, 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Discover with Docents, Level 1, Throughout the Day
- Be on the lookout for enthusiastic,
- Live African Safari, 1:00 pm in the Piazza
- Penguin Feeding, 10:30 am and 3:00 pm in African Hall
- Coral Reef Dives, 11:30 am and 2:30 pm at the Philippine Coral Reef
You must pre-register for tickets between March 25th and April 22nd. Special pricing is for homeschool children ages 4-17 and up to two adults. San Francisco residents are FREE and non-San Francisco residents are $6.95 per person.
In addition to drop-in programs, hands-on classroom and lab programs can be signed up for and reserved in advance. These do require an extra fee ($5.95 – $7.95 per person). These have limited space and must be reserved over the phone (877-227-3311).
- Ages 5-7: Touch a coral skeleton or use a microscope to look up close at an insect.
- Ages 8-11: Discover how plants and animals rely on each other in the wild.
- Ages 12+: Get a taste for how to contribute to real scientific research.
Planetarium tickets will be available at no extra charge but are first-come first-served.
- Earthquake: Evidence of a Restless Planet
Level 1, 11:30 am, 1:30 pm, 3:30 pm
A sweeping geological journey, Earthquake, the newest Academy Planetarium show, explores the forces that transform the surface of our planet. Visualizations reveal Earth’s story, showing how subtle motions and sudden ruptures have shaped our planet over eons.
- Fragile Planet
Level 1, 10:30 am, 12:30 pm, 2:30 pm, 4:30 pm
Fragile Planet gives audiences an astronaut’s view of Earth, highlighting Earth’s unique regions. The journey then continues to the Moon, Mars, and beyond the Milky Way to search for habitats that might host extraterrestrial life.
More 2013 Homeschool Day specifics can be found at:
- Registration Guide
- Reserved Programs Guide
- Event Schedule
- Event FAQ
- Or download all the event details and registration information in one file
Don’t forget to sign up bright and early on March 25th to guarantee your spot and preferred programs!