If you haven’t seen the live-action The Jungle Book movie yet, you really should. The graphics are amazing and the re-telling of the story is captivating.
“The Jungle Book” is a live-action epic adventure based on Rudyard Kipling’s timeless stories, inspired by Disney’s classic 1967 animated film and centered on Mowgli (Neel Sethi), a man-cub who’s been raised by a family of wolves. But Mowgli finds he is no longer welcome in the jungle when fearsome tiger Shere Khan (voice of Idris Elba), who bears the scars of Man, promises to eliminate what he sees as a threat.
The Jungle Book Movie Review
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when watching the live-action The Jungle Book movie. As the movie opened, I was immediately impressed by the scenery (which explains my shocking realization later on). The story is light but quickly pulls your attention. Mowgli acts like a typical kid, except for the fact that he was raised in the jungle by wolves.
The struggles of fitting in and finding your personal strengths are in the forefront of the story. Yet, the plot remains light with Mowgli’s sass and Baloo’s antics. The singing parts seem a bit out of place but, again, remind you that this is a kid-friendly film. Those with sensitive children should note that scenes with Shere Khan are dark and intense. That’s to be expected with a vengeful, ruthless tiger voiced by Idris Elba, though. (Uhm, can you say “Bah-bye, Akela?”) I was pleasantly surprised with this classic getting new life breathed into it. As for the graphics — wow, just wow!
The Jungle Book Movie Blu-Ray, DVD, Digital HD
One of the main highlights on The Jungle Book movie Blu-ray is the meaty 35-minute bonus content. It’s titled, “The Jungle Book” Reimagined. I loved all the details put into the movie as well as the revealing behind-the-scenes footage. Neel’s reaction to the filming was hilarious! It was so interesting to find out how the filming style came to be and how the actors responded to the new roles. Plus, I had NO idea that most of the set was CG including all the backgrounds! I don’t want to give too much away and spoil this “must-see” bit. You’ll just have to watch the Jungle Book Blu-ray to see the Disney movie magic for yourself. 😉
The Jungle Book movie Blu-ray Combo Pack includes the Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD versions in one neat package. Bonus features include:
- “The Jungle Book” Reimagined – Favreau sits down with producer Brigham Taylor and visual effects supervisor Robert Legato to discuss “The Jungle Book” and reflect on the years they devoted to the reimagining of this timeless tale. Discover how Rudyard Kipling’s original stories and the classic animated film influenced their unique approach, witness the technical wizardry that enabled the team to create a believable and thrilling movie-going experience, and learn how they borrowed a page from Walt Disney’s innovation playbook to make it all happen. Lastly, meet the all-star voice cast who help bring the film’s colorful characters to life, as well as the musicians who accent the adventure with a majestic music score.
- I Am Mowgli – Follow the extraordinary journey of 12-year-old Neel Sethi, who was selected from thousands of hopefuls worldwide to play Mowgli “alongside” some of today’s biggest movie stars. Get a glimpse of Neel’s life before Hollywood came calling, check out his audition that sealed the deal, and see how a close-working relationship with Favreau brought out his best. Plus, Neel shares how filming “The Jungle Book” was one wild ride, from working alongside imaginary animals to performing some super-fun stunts.
- King Louie’s Temple: Layer by Layer – So, exactly how do you create a musical number featuring one man-cub, a massive, legendary ape and an army of wild and wily monkeys in the Seeonee jungle? Viewers are granted rare and unique access to the development of the “I Wan’na Be Like You” sequence in which King Louie attempts to coerce Mowgli into giving up Man’s deadly “red flower” (fire). A fast-moving musical progression reel showcases storyboards, animatics, Christopher Walken’s recording session and visual effects layers, which ultimately merge to form one of the film’s most memorable scenes.
- Audio Commentary – Favreau delivers his scene-by-scene perspective on the live-action adventure “The Jungle Book” with all the candor and humor you’d expect from this multi-talented actor-writer-director-producer.
The Jungle Book movie Blu-ray Combo Pack with Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD is now available to own. The 3D version will be out later this year.
The Jungle Book movie is now available on Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD!
- Visit the official website: http://movies.disney.com/the-jungle-book-2016
- Like on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyJungleBook
- Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheJungleBook
I was invited on an all-expense paid media trip as a guest of Disney in honor of the Pete’s Dragon movie. All opinions are my own.