You’ve probably heard that, over the years, some pretty weird traffic laws have passed state legislation. Many are still valid today, even if they aren’t regularly enforced. While there are dozens more, I’m sure, here’s a collection of 35 laws I found particularly . . . interesting.
35 Weird U.S. Traffic Laws Infographic
If for some reason the above infographic bubbles don’t pop up, here’s a list of the laws:
- In Alabama, it’s illegal to drive while blindfolded.
- In Alabama, it’s LEGAL to drive the wrong way on a one way street if you have a lantern on the front of your car.
- In Alaska, it’s illegal to tie a dog to the roof of your car.
- In Arizona, it’s illegal to drive in reverse.
- In Arkansas, it’s illegal to blare a car horn where ice cold beverages or sandwiches are served after 9 p.m.
- In California, it is illegal for a woman to drive in a housecoat.
- In California, it’s illegal to jump from a car at 65 mph.
- In Denver, Colorado, it’s illegal to drive a black car on Sundays.
- In Florida, if an elephant, goat, or alligator is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
- In Georgia, it is illegal for a chicken to cross the road.
- In Georgia, it’s illegal to drive through playgrounds.
- In Marietta, Georgia, it’s illegal to spit from a car or bus but it’s OKAY from a truck.
- In Indianola, Iowa, the ice cream man is banned from roaming the streets.
- In Kansas, if two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed.
- In Kansas, pedestrians crossing the highways at night must wear tail lights.
- In Topeka, Kansas, it’s unlawful to transport dead poultry along Kansas Avenue.
- In Kentucky, if you stop for ice cream while driving, be aware that it is considered unlawful to transport an ice cream cone in your back pocket.
- In New Orleans, Louisiana and Memphis, Tennessee it is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless her husband is running ahead waving a flag in front of it.
- In Massachusetts, it’s illegal to operate a car with a gorilla in the backseat.
- In Minnesota, it’s illegal to cross state lines with a duck on your head.
- In Minneapolis, Minnesota, you can’t drive a red car on Lake Street.
- In Oxford, Mississippi, honking is illegal because it might scare nearby horses.
- In Missouri, it is illegal to honk the horn of someone else’s car.
- In Montana, it is illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone.
- In Nevada, it’s illegal to ride a camel on a freeway.
- In New Jersey, it is against the law to “frown” at a police officer.
- In North Carolina, it is illegal to drive in a cemetery unless you are digging a grave or putting someone in one.
- In Canton, Ohio, it’s illegal to share the road with someone on roller skates.
- In Oklahoma, it’s illegal to read a comic book while driving.
- In Pennsylvania, any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue.
- In Tennessee and California, it is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
In The Lovely City of San Francisco
- Persons classified as “ugly” may not walk down any street.
- Prohibits elephants from strolling down Market Street unless they are on a leash.
- It is illegal to pile horse manure more than six feet high on a street corner.
- It is illegal to wipe one’s car with used underwear.