#spon: I’m required to disclose a relationship between our site and Intel. This could include the Intel Corporation providing us w/content, product, access or other forms of payment.
Even though it’s supposed to be fall now, apparently California didn’t get the memo. It’s been sticky and humid and just plain yucky lately. By the time it’s time to make dinner, I’m already pooped and have to drag myself to the kitchen. Since we have Frans’ gluten allergy to deal with, fast food and frozen food are basically a no-no if we don’t want to chance him getting sick. So, these days I’m making most dishes from scratch, whether I want to or not.
Getting our Groove on in the Kitchen
At least we found something to help the task go a little smoother. The other day, it was a real challenge to get the meal going. So what did we do? We pulled up the “Walking on Sunshine” playlist on Songza on our Acer Iconia Tab 8 Intel Tablet and pumped up the volume. There’s something about music that can just lift the mood.
Gluten-Free Meatless 7 Layer Dip Recipe
Frans and Munchkin pitched in and our food was ready in no time. It was definitely a night for our standby gluten-free 7-layer dip recipe. Well, technically this is a six layer dip recipe as we like it better without the meat (the seventh layer). If you want to make a true seven layer bean dip, you can add some cooked ground beef or turkey with taco seasoning.
- 1-1/2 cup white rice (uncooked)
- 1-1/4 cup chunky salsa
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2-1/2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 can refried beans
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese (cubed)
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 avocados
- Lemon juice
- Sour cream
- Place coconut oil in pan and allow to heat on medium-high.
- Add rice, stir, and allow to lightly brown.
- Add chicken broth and salsa, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir and set aside.
- In a small pot, mix refried beans and Monterey Jack cheese over low heat. Stir often and heat until a creamy constancy. Set aside.
- Mash avocados and season to taste with salt and a little lemon juice.
- Layer in this order: beans, rice, salsa, guacamole, and cheddar cheese. Top with sour cream and serve with tortilla chips.
If we just want to do a quickie, we’ll omit the extra salsa and guacamole. If you have an allergy to gluten, make sure the chicken broth is gluten-free as the Swanson’s I always used to use is not. We get the organic one from Costco.