When we were first gifted the Disney Infinity 2.0 starter set, we didn’t have a game system to play it on. We do now and we finally understand what all the hullabaloo is about.
Disney Infinity 2.0 Toy Box Review
The Disney Infinity 2.0 Toy Box is where kids and adults can get creative and build entire worlds called Toy Boxes. Choose from a selection of vehicles, game features, townspeople, enemies, race tracks, animals, furniture, and other items and unlock more as you play. There are really no rules, only a meter to show stability and memory limits.
Though the controls take quite a bit getting used to, imagination kicks in after some time. Toy Boxes can include races, mazes, missions like collecting items, and more. Enemies can be added but this is completely optional. The customization of Toy Boxes and INteriors is endless. A tutorial is included as well as pre-made Toy Boxes. You can also download Toy Boxes made by others and share your own.
Disney Infinity 2.0 Marvel Super Heroes Review
Since we are a Marvel-loving family, we picked up the Disney INFINITY 2.0 Marvel Super Heroes Starter Pack during some sweet Black Friday sales. I’m so glad we did. We had a blast with the Avengers Play Set game, featuring the Avengers, Loki, Modoc, and a whole slew of frost giants. Thwart Loki’s plan to freeze the city and overrun it with frost giants.
Our family tends to stay away from “fighting” games but this is more like playing with toys that break apart and turn into energy sparkles. There’s no blood, bruising, grotesque maneuvers. Two other Marvel-themed games were included but we haven’t dived into those yet.
I would have liked the game to be a little longer as my daughter and I finished it in just a few sittings. Some parts can be challenging but it’s easier with more character figures (we have all the Avengers now) and Ability power discs (love the Immortal Iron Fist). What the what?
Disney Infinity Terms Explained
- Starter Set – This includes the core game (needed to play and must match your video game system), the base, 2-3 figures, and 2 Toy Box Game Discs. The Marvel Starter Set also includes the Avengers Play Set piece.
- Play Sets – Play Sets are stand-alone adventures with a full story and missions to complete. These are accessed when you place a Play Set piece on the Disney Infinity base. For 2.0, there are only three Play Sets available (Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Spiderman). 1.0 Play Sets can NOT be played on the 2.0 platform but the Toy Box extras will be imported.
- Figures – Placing a figure on the Disney Infinity base will bring up a playable character on the screen. All figures can be used in the Toy Box (even 1.0 figures) but only certain ones can be used in the Play Set games. Our favorite figures so far are Captain America, Baymax, Hiro, and Iron Man.
- Toy Box Game Discs – Included with the starter sets, placing these discs unlock mini-game-like play. Marvel Toy Box Game Discs are meant for Marvel Figures and Disney Originals Toy Box Game Discs are meant for Disney Originals Figures. There is a way to bypass this though. See: Can I play with Disney Characters in the Marvel Toy Box Games and vice versa?
- Power Discs – These can be purchased separately in random packs. There are three types of discs. Round AbilityPower Discs give characters things like more power, longer life, and different costumes to use in the Play Set games or in the Toy Box. Hexagonal ToyPower Discs give you special items to use while in the Toy Box. Hexagonal Customization Power Discs unlock backgrounds and sky views. You can stack up to two round power discs under a figure and up to three hexagonal Power Discs on the base.
Disney Infinity 2.0 Cost
I will warn you that playing Disney Infinity can add up. It doesn’t have to but it’s pretty likely that you’ll want to add to your collection of figures, Play Sets, and Power Discs. In addition to all the items I was given for review, we’ve purchased the Elsa figure and extra power discs (during a BOGO sale). I’d love to get more Play Sets but that will have to wait. I’m hoping for more female characters AND Originasl Play Sets as well 🙂