When going to dinner to celebrate my mom’s anniversary, I decided to experiment with a simple but hearty appetizer. It turned out so well that I made it again for dinner last night and each of us could only eat two halves. These are filling! They are also loaded with calories but that’s part of their appeal.
Gluten-Free Twice-Baked Stuffed Potatoes Recipe
- 6-8 Russett Potatoes, washed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup bacon bits
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 425 deg F.
- Coat potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle on salt and pepper, and spread around potatoes evenly.
- Use a fork to poke some holes on top then place directly on middle oven rack for 50 minutes. Put one layer of aluminum foil on rack just below middle rack to catch any drippings.
- After 50 minutes, gently squeeze potatoes. Potatoes should slightly give when fully cooked. Remove from oven.
- Cut potatoes in half and scoop out filling.
- Combine filling with butter, 1-1/2 cup cheese, 3/4 cup bacon. Season to taste with garlic salt and pepper. Lastly fold in sour cream.
- Fill potato skins with mixture and top with remaining cheese and bacon.
- Place on cookies sheet and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream (what we prefer), ranch dressing, or other desired sauce.
These also taste great the day after. After removing from the refrigerator, just pop them in the oven at 375 deg F for 15 minutes and it’s yum time!