Using our new rice cooker, we plan on making a lot more sushi at home. It’s simple and so much less expensive. The usual California Roll recipe calls for imitation crab (surumi) or crab but, as it turns out, I’m allergic. So, we modified this sushi roll recipe to include smoked salmon – yum!
Easy Smoked Salmon California Roll Recipe
- Sushi rice (recipe here)
- Dried seaweed (Nori)
- Smoked salmon (or other ingredient of choice)
- Place seaweed on bamboo mat.
- Spread an even layer of rice on seaweed, leaving about 1 inch uncovered to complete roll.
- Add cucumber, avocado, smoked salmon, or other desired ingredients in a horizontal row, parallel to bamboo slats.
- Holding the ingredients with your fingers, tightly roll the mat until your sushi roll is complete. This takes practice.
- Slice roll in 6-8 pieces. Serve with wasabi and soy sauce (or Temari if you need gluten-free).