LISTERINE Mouthwash 21-Day Challenge Complete Results…
Tuesday marked the 21st day of my LISTERINE 21-Day Challenge. I have mixed feeling about this challenge ending. Knowing that I was, in a way, accountable for keeping on track helped me to keep regular on my routine. However taking part in this helped jumpstart good oral care in my family and it is well worth the effort to continue with it. Here are some of my own observations during the last 21 days:
Getting started on the challenge was easy. I had all the supplies I needed and, as suggested in the brochure I got, the mouthwash and a rinsing cup stayed on my bathroom counter as a constant reminder. Sticking to the program did get difficult, though, when I was REALLY tired at night and just wanted to jump straight into bed. Many times I really had to force myself to just do it. My husband really appreciated this since we usually talk a bit before going to sleep and I was minty fresh when facing him at such close range
It was also hard surviving the ‘LISTERINE mouthwash sting’ on my tongue. Yes, I googled it and it seems like a normal experience. Since I had three varieties of LISTERINE, I gave them a try. The Cool Mint flavor cause the least, by far, burning sensation so I stuck with that one for most of the 21 days.
Effects on me:
- No bleeding gums – After only a few days, my gums didn’t bleed anymore when flossing.
- Less biofilm – The brochure talked about a sticky film on the teeth, called plaque biofilm, which is essentially bacteria that has multiplied and stuck together to make a thick layer on the teeth. After the first day I noticed a huge lessening of this. The surface of my teeth felt smooth and clean, even when waking up in the morning!
- Better breath – As hoped, the rinsing really kept my mouth cleaner and fresher for longer. Not once during the challenge did my daughter ‘suggest’ I have a breath mint (she’s very honest and a bit outspoken).
- Longer brushing times – Instead of just a quick brush ‘n go, I made sure to dedicate a set time to caring for my teeth. That meant not rushing and using a full two minutes in brushing my teeth.
- More confidence – Knowing that I was actively taking better care of my mouth and teeth effected me on a day-to-day basis. I felt more confident with talking face-to-face with people and smiling since I knew I didn’t have anything to be embarrassed about, unless I just finished eating spinach.
See how easy the 2 times a day routine is:
Effects on my family:
- My daughter – She’s more determined than ever to care for her teeth. She uses mouthwash after ever brushing without being told. In fact, she’s almost finished her bottle of Barbie Smart Rinse and will be breaking open her Phineas & Ferb one soon. She loves how clean her mouth has been feeling.
- My husband – Frans didn’t join me on the challenge, per say, but he did step up his oral care routine. He started rinsing with the LISTERINE mouthwash as well and has been flossing more often. He really likes the Reach Access Flosser that came in our supply kit.
The earlier you set the example for your kids, the better. If your children are less than thrilled in good oral hygiene, here are some tips the brochure mentioned that I’ve personally had success with:
- Go back to basics – Remind your children of the importance of proper oral care. Oh, and make sure you check to see how well they are brushing/flossing/rinsing once in a while.
- Clean to the beat – Get a brush with a timer using music or lights. We also had a little contraption that would indicate when to brush the next quadrant.
- Let kids decide – Let kids choose their own toothbrush, floss, toothpaste, etc. You can give them some suggestions and direction but they’ll be more more engaged if they get to have a say in their favorite hygiene supplies.
Did you know that 42% of children have tooth decay the the time they reach 11 years old?
I have to be honest and say that I did miss a couple of cleaning sessions. Hey, life happens. For the most part I stuck with program and feel I’m better for it, as is the rest of my family.
You can still sign up for the LISTERINE 21-day challenge at Remind your followers how they can get involved in the challenge by signing up at www.facebook.com/listerine. Don’t forget, for each person that joins the challenge, a donation is made to ‘Oral Health America to help children in need of dental care’. On that Facebook page, you will also find details on the My Pet Mouth app for fun reminders and a coupon for $1 off any LISTERINE Mouthwash 1L or larger.
Are you up to the challenge?
I received products from Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc. and The Motherhood as part of my participation in the LISTERINE® 21 Day Challenge. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own.