‘Barbeque’ and ‘summer’ are two words that go hand-in-hand. They bring to mind ribs, potato salad, hamburgers, cake, and a lot of fattening foods. But picnics and cook-outs don’t have to be diet-killers.
I was a bit surprised when Frito-Lay contacted me with healthy summer tips. I forget that they are also the makers of Sun Chips, Tostitos, and the new Baked! lines which are all guilt-free snacks. I really enjoyed the suggestions they shared and thought you might as well.
1. Dips help you take in more veggies or replace the mayo/bbq sauce. They are also great with Lay’s Classic Potato Chips.
Combine the following and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes:
- 1 cucumber, shredded
- 1 cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
2. Use whole grains (i.e. whole wheat buns). Tostitos Scoops! tortilla chips have 8 grams of whole grains and taste great with a homemade Chipotle Salsa. Combine the ingredients below and chill before serving:
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 ½ tbsp chipotle chilies chopped
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 jar Tostitos® Salsa
3. Portion control. This is something we have been trying to apply and it has really helped keep our weight down. Use a smaller plate and fill it with 1/2 veggies, 1/4 whole grains, and 1/4 lean meat.
Eating better means feeling better. That all boils down to having more energy to spend on chasing after the kids!
► Giveaway closed, winners announced here!
Frito-Lay wants one of my readers to enjoy their summer with a Raya Chip and Dip from Crate & Barrel, including some Sun Chips and Tostitos.
To enter (mandatory):
Tell me how you kept healthy this summer!
For additional entries leave a comment for each you do:
- Follow Frito-Lay on Twitter
- Subscribe via email
- “Like” Cookies & Clogs on Facebook
- Follow Cookies & Clogs on Twitter
- Tweet the following once a day:
RT & #Win a Crate & Barrel Chip and Dip Bowl from Frito-Lay plus more @fritolay @cookiesandclogs Ends 9/5 #giveaway http://bit.ly/a25jS0
- Follow me on Google Friend Connect
- Comment on a non-giveaway post
- Follow my blog on Networked Blogs
- Vote for me at Top Mommy Blogs (daily)
- Vote for me at Picket Fence Blogs (daily)
Giveaway ends 9/5/10 at 11:59 PST. Open to US residents only. Winners have 48 hours to respond before a new winner is chosen.
Disclosure: I was provided with a couple bags of Frito-Lay chips in connection with this post. The review presented here is 100% my honest opinion.