At the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, MI last week, Verizon announced a new service that will be coming in the spring of 2015 – Verizon Vehicle. This new subscription-based service will be compatible with most cars sold in the U.S. from 1996 onward and it is not dependent on which mobile carrier you use. Members can also get discounts on travel needs.
Verizon Vehicle Announcement at NAIAS
Verizon Vehicle will help consumers finally figure out what that “check engine” light refers to, provide access to live assistance, and offer roadside assistance based on your GPS location. This reminds me of the Delphi device that was offered but in a more robust and functional package.
“Verizon Vehicle is a unique and truly holistic aftermarket solution available to over 200 million vehicles on the road today. “It affords millions of drivers the power of knowing when things aren’t working well, potentially before a breakdown occurs — fostering a safer, smarter and more economical way to drive and maintain a vehicle.”
– Erik Goldman, president of Verizon Telematics.
Verizon Vehicle Subscription-Based Service
So what does Verizon Vehicle actually do? Services included are:
- GPS-directed pinpoint Roadside Assistance for breakdowns, flat tires, overheating, a dead battery — anything that might require towing or immediate repair. Dispatches are made to the exact location of a disabled vehicle.
- Automatic Urgent Incident Alert System places a call to the Verizon Vehicle Member Care Center in the event of a suspected accident. Help is immediately dispatched to the location if an accident is confirmed or there is no response from the driver. The time saved can potentially save lives by delivering critical emergency assistance when a person may not be able to call for help.
- One-Button SOS Assistance immediately connects the driver to a live agent for emergency aid.
- Auto Health System with Predictive Diagnostics translates most “Check Engine” light occurrences into real terms, including the description and severity of the matter, the probable solutions for the problem – and the appropriate cost for the repairs. The system is also designed to provide early warnings relating to some vehicle functions, even before a warning light comes on, to help keep you off the side of the road.
- Mechanic’s Hotline is staffed with A.S.E. Certified Mechanics providing members access to immediate and unbiased information related to their vehicles, and a professional analysis of trouble they may be experiencing.
- Parking & Meter Tools help drivers find where they left their vehicle — using the Verizon Vehicle smartphone app — while also keeping track of how much time is left on the meter.
- Maintenance Alerts inform vehicle owners when scheduled maintenance is required. No more guesswork as to when to rotate those tires or change the oil.
- Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance guides drivers when reporting a theft and helps authorities recover the stolen vehicle.
- Travel & Repair Savings – Verizon Vehicle members will be entitled to substantial discounts on hotels, vehicle rentals, auto maintenance, repairs and related travel expenses.
Verizon Vehicle Price & Equipment
Verizon Vehicle will be powered by the Verizon network, which has a massive coverage area. To use the service an OBD reader (easily installed under the dash in the diagnostic port), a Bluetooth speaker, and a smartphone app is needed. The cost is $14.99 a month and the equipment is included with a 2-year contract. Pre-orders are being taken now on VerizonVehicle.com or you can call 800-711-5800. I hope I can try this on our 2006 VW Jetta and share my personal experience of using it with you!
Is this something you would be interested in signing up for?
This post is part of my participation in the #VZWBuzz Lifestyle Ambassador program. All opinions are my own.